The Newcastle Historical Society Museum will open for its 16th year on Saturday, July 1. As in the past, hours will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Saturday in July and August. There is no admission charge.
The museum’s 1877 Taniscot pumper is housed inside the museum and is available for viewing and pictures. The museum also has other fire company treasures. There are albums of thousands of photographs, many more than 100 years old, taken by several early photographers. Some Newcastle residents might find that the museum has a picture of their house.
Newcastle is an old town, incorporated in 1753; it has many early items donated by its residents. Town reports are on display from 1900 to the present, and a few from the 1800s. There is a copy of Christine Huston Dodge’s records, Mary Jane’s children’s books, and a collection of Lincoln Academy’s yearbooks. The museum has just put together several scrapbooks of town events taken from past Lincoln County News newspapers.
The Newcastle Historical Society Museum is located at the corner of Main and Pump streets in the former firehouse. It is part of the office complex of the town of Newcastle.