The Newcastle Historical Society museum will open for its summer activities on Saturday, July 6. Hours, each Saturday, during the months of July and August, will be from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m. There is no entrance fee. All interested people are invited to meet with the society and see the many treasures.
Newcastle was incorporated as a town in 1753 and the society has many items from the more than 260 years as a town. The 1877 pumper, once sold by Newcastle Fire Co., was located and brought back to town to join in the display.
For the serious genealogist, there are records of many of Newcastle’s former citizens and thousands of photographs, many over 100 years old.
Several books of local interest are available for sale. New, this year, the society’s latest book on Newcastle history – just out in April – is the book “More History Tales of Newcastle, Maine,” by historian Arlene Cole.
This 493-page, soft-cover book is the second of two books on the town. It contains 70 articles previously printed in The Lincoln County News, 35 shorter articles, many photographs and 24 pages of selected points of interest. Cole will be at the museum this Saturday, July 6, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. to sign a book for those who would like a copy. The books will be $20 plus tax.
Its companion, “History Tales of Newcastle, Maine,” is still available. The set would make a nice birthday or Christmas gift for a history buff on one’s list.
The society has a limited number of books on Newcastle cemeteries from 1758 to 2004, and “Between Two Rivers,” a story of the growth of Newcastle. Newcastle lies between the Damariscotta and Sheepscot rivers.
The museum is located at the old fire house at the corner of Main and Pump streets, in the village of Newcastle.