A camper fire in Damariscotta sent one person to the hospital just after midnight Wednesday, March 16.
Lincoln County Communications paged the Damariscotta Fire Department to 154 Back Meadow Rd. at 12:49 a.m. Wednesday for a reported camper fire.
Damariscotta Fire Chief John Roberts said the fire was caused by a propane leak from the camper’s hot water heater.
The floor of the trailer was “blown out” by the explosion, Roberts said.
Members of the fire department put out the fire and cleared the scene a little after 2 a.m., Roberts said.
The camper is the property of Wayne (Bobby) Elliott, of Damariscotta. Elliott resides at 154 Back Meadow Rd.
Roberts said he did not know if Elliott had insured the camper.
Theodore Cocco, of Waldoboro, was inside the camper when the fire started, Roberts said.
Cocco was transported by private vehicle to LincolnHealth – Miles Campus, Roberts said.
Central Lincoln County Ambulance Service transported Cocco to Maine Medical Center in Portland. Hospital personnel said Cocco is in satisfactory condition.
Roberts said he does not consider the fire suspicious. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was expected to visit the scene later Wednesday.
The camper was 20 feet away from the house on the property, Roberts said. There was no additional property damage.
Roberts cautioned those who might be getting their campers out for the season to check for propane leaks.
Sgt. Jason Warlick, of the Damariscotta Police Department, assisted at the scene.