No injuries were reported following a house fire on Reef Road in Waldoboro the evening of Saturday, Aug. 13.
The cape-style home suffered substantial visible damage and continued to smolder as firefighters worked to completely extinguish the blaze late Saturday night.
Waldoboro Fire Chief Paul Smeltzer described the house as an older buidling and said the house was fully involved when crews arrived.
He said the sole resident was home at the time of the fire and was able to exit the structure without injury.
Smeltzer said he was unsure of the cause of the fire and that the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office had been contacted and would investigate Monday, Aug. 15.
The fire chief said Central Maine Power Co. responded to the scene due to a live power line across the driveway between firefighters and the house.
Smeltzer said crews set up to attack the fire and as soon as the power line was taken care of, firefighters worked quickly to knock down the fire.
He said the length of the driveway was a factor in responding to the fire but crews did an excellent job to ensure water got from the roadway to the fire.
“It’s a long driveway but we train for these type of situations,” Smeltzer said.
Joining the Waldoboro Fire Department at the scene were crews from Jefferson, Nobleboro, and Warren.
Waldoboro Emergency Medical Services and the Waldoboro Police Department also responded to the scene.
Lincoln County Communications paged firefighters to the fire at 531 Reef Road shortly before 8 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 13.