Area firefighters responded to a propane leak at Bristol Consolidated School Wednesday morning, Feb. 18. Students were on winter break at the time.
Lincoln County Communications paged the Bristol Fire Department at 6:55 a.m. At press time, firefighters were still on scene.
According to Bristol Fire Chief Paul Leeman Jr., the school’s propane heating system was shut off upon the firefighters’ arrival.
“We’re finding pockets of propane in different areas of the building,” Bristol Fire Chief Paul Leeman Jr. said.
The majority of “pockets” have been in or near the gym, Leeman said.
Leeman said firefighters have been trying to gain access to the main pipe that goes into the building from the propane tank.
“Ice may have gotten through,” Leeman said.
New Harbor 1st Assistant Chief Jared Pendleton is the incident commander, according to Leeman.
Bremen, Damariscotta, Newcastle, and South Bristol fire departments were paged to bring positive pressure fans to the school. Central Maine Power Company was also called to the scene.
The Lincoln County News will update this post.