A workman’s light is cited as the cause of a minor house fire in Newcastle Jan. 29.
Newcastle Fire Chief Clayton Huntley said the light ignited some insulation in the eaves of a 250-year-old house at 374 South Dyer Neck Road shortly before 1 p.m. Huntley credited quick action on behalf of the workmen for the save.
“They were blowing in insulation,” Huntley said. “They were doing their thing and they came back through and smoke was coming out of the eaves so they buttoned it up and called 9-1-1.”
Huntley said smoke and water damage to the house was minimal. Firefighters used less than 1000 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze.
Newcastle was assisted at the scene by Damariscotta, Nobleboro and Wiscasset Fire Departments, Huntley said. “It was a good, quick response,” he said.
Firefighters were able to clear the scene around 3 p.m.