By Abigail W. Adams
The pool house at Sheepscot Harbour Village & Resort on Friday, Nov. 7, three days after a fire ravaged its mezzanine level and roof. The house has been sealed off until insurance companies complete their own investigations. (Abigail Adams photo)
The fire that tore through the roof of the Sheepscot Harbour Village & Resort pool house in Edgecomb on Tuesday, Nov. 4 was quickly contained by area fire departments. The effort to identify the party responsible for paying for damages, however, has only just begun.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal determined that the source of the fire was an electrical/mechanical malfunction in the mezzanine level of the pool area, Sgt. Ken Grimes, supervisor of the investigating officer, told The Lincoln County News. Edgecomb Fire Chief Roy Potter said a malfunctioning pool heater was responsible.
Investigation of the fire is now in the hands of insurance companies. That investigation will determine whether Hanover Insurance Company, the insurance provider for the pool house; or the insurance company representing the manufacturer of the pool heater will be responsible for covering the costs of the damage.
The Sheepscot Harbour Village & Resort development on Davis Island in Edgecomb is home to privately owned cottages that belong to either the Sheepscot Harbour View Condominium Owners Association, or “the view,” and the Sheepscot Harbour Village & Resort Condominium Association, or “the village.”
The pool house that was the scene of the fire is owned by area developer Tony Casella. However, Foreside Real Estate Management Inc., a third-party agent that represents both the view and the village, is the insurance policy holder for the building.
Jeffery Martin, president of Portland-based Foreside Real Estate Management, said he was shocked when he heard news of the fire.
“It’s not something you expect,” Martin said. “You certainly don’t plan on these things happening.” He projects it will be a couple of weeks before he receives a report about the extent of the damage.
Casella told The Lincoln County News that the pool house has been sealed off until the insurance company that represents the manufacturer of the equipment has had a chance to investigate.
The manufacturer of the pool heater and its insurance company has not been publicly identified. However, if they agree with the determination of the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Edgecomb fire chief that its equipment was responsible for the fire, they will be required to pay for the damages.
“We’re always sorry to see losses of this nature,” Emily Trevallion, a media relations officer with Hanover Insurance, told The Lincoln County News. “We have begun the claims process and we’re working with our policy holder to review the claim at this time.” Due to privacy issues, Trevallion was unable to comment about issues involving the pool heater’s manufacturer.
“The plan is to have it rebuilt to its original specification,” Martin said about the fate of the building. “The plan now is to build it back up as a pool house.”