A house at 1154 Main St. in Waldoboro sustained fire damage to its living room and heavy heat and smoke damage to other rooms the afternoon of Monday, Nov. 13, but no one was hurt, according to the town’s fire chief.
Though the cause of the fire has not been confirmed, Waldoboro Fire Chief Paul Smeltzer said he believes the fire was accidental and originated in the area of the fireplace. He said the homeowners had lit a fire in the fireplace and were outside when they discovered the fire.
Smeltzer said that when firefighters arrived, flames were showing from a window at the front of the house and light smoke was showing from other portions of the house. When he arrived, heavy smoke was visible.
The fire chief praised the work of firefighters who quickly launched an initial attack, which knocked down the main fire and limited fire damage to the living room.
Smeltzer said the building has a vaulted ceiling without an attic, which caused smoke to disperse through the entire building.
Smeltzer said firefighters would complete an overhaul of the building to ensure the fire is completely out, including in the roof.
Smeltzer said he had conferred with the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office but did not request an investigator to visit the scene.
“I’ve spoken with the fire marshal and everything is pointing to an accidental fire. If anything changes, they’ll come right away,” Smeltzer said.
Smeltzer also took time to advise area homeowners on fire safety as they prepare for the winter season ahead.
“Make sure all fireplaces are clean and inspected every year,” Smeltzer said.
Lincoln County Communications dispatched the Waldoboro Fire Department shortly before 2:15 p.m. The Friendship, Jefferson, Union, and Warren fire departments also responded to the scene.
The Nobleboro Fire Department provided station coverage for Waldoboro. Waldoboro Emergency Medical Services and the Waldoboro Police Department responded to the scene. Central Maine Power Co. was also on hand.
According to town records, the home belongs to James and Sandra O’Farrell.